[Opensim-users] Announcement of inventory tool (MyInventory), mostly of interest to grid operators/grid nauts

InuYasha Meiji inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 10:32:34 UTC 2012

Sorry, this is what I get for writing email at 5:31am.  So you are
saying I would have to give you the gridinventory service link in order
to choose to suport this service.  Ok then I guess I am goo dfor now,
just won't give that info out.  Sorry I got confused.

Inu.

On 11/15/2012 4:44 AM, Snowcrash Short wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been working on a client side tool for decentralizing user
> inventories, which I will release as an open source tool in two weeks,
> some of the features may be relevant to grid operators.
>
> The basic premise of the tool is that the inventory and the backing
> assets of the inventory items really should be controlled by the user.
> The tool is born out of a frustration of having visited a number of
> grids. Each visit to a new grid presents me with an empty inventory,
> and I can then spend time searching for suitable item, clothing,
> attachments and other accessories.
>
> For this purpose I have created a tool which will allow me to backup
> my inventory to a local cache and then upload the contents to another
> grid.
>
> If my tool becomes popular, both the upload and download mechanisms
> may have some impact on the grid-operators, hence this email to serve
> as a notice.
>
> The basic architecture is pretty simple, consisting of a number of
> import agents, which can import the users inventory and backing assets
> to a local database, and a number of upload agents which can upload
> inventory content to a specific account.
>
> Backup/Import
> There are two import agents, one which will import .iar files and one
> which works very much like I believe "Stored Inventory" works, which
> can backup the inventory of an avatars inventory. Avatar backup/Import
> is governed by a policy. Currently there are two policies,
> one complying with a very restrictive interpretation of the Linden
> Labs policy on backups, and a completely unrestricted policy, where
> anything that can be downloaded will be downloaded.
>
> When a new account is registered in MyInventory it checks if the
> account is for a Linden Lab grid and limits the choices of policies to
> policies suitable for LL's TOS, I cannot and do not know if other
> grids have similar policies, I can well imagine that Avination has a
> similar restrictions, and would like similar logic implemented to
> restrict the download. Any grid operator which would like to have
> backup governed by a more restrictive policy are invited to notify me
> and I will attempt to implement the policy prior to the first release
> of the source code. or supply patches at a later time.
>
> Upload/Export
> MyInventory supports two mechanisms for uploading inventory
> content, traditional upload using UDP/CAPS and direct access to the
> inventory and asset web-services.
> Due to limitations in the UDP/CAPS protocol each upload will create
> new assets, and as of my latest read of the Open Simulator code the
> asset store does not support "single instance assets", i.e. it does
> not use a checksum to verify if the asset already exists, for this
> reason MyInventory prefers to upload using direct access to asset and
> inventory web-services.

> [...]

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).