[Opensim-users] A bit confused

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 9 03:32:43 UTC 2012

On 07/11/12 11:19, Ai Austin wrote:
> At 11:00 07/11/2012, Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hopefully, this week I'm going to open a mantis report about this issue (0.7.4 suffering comms issues compared to
>> 0.7.3). Enough data has been reported now where I suspect it's an issue that isn't network or configuration related
>> (though that's still a possibility).
>
> I am not surprised by the title of this post... as my own situation in reporting the issues all coincided with me
> switching to using Firestorm (and Dolphin a bit) whereas before that I had recently only used almost exclusively LL
> official 3.x  viewers.  I also did a revamp of our OSGrid add on 0.7.5 dev regions to switch to a new dedicated host
> with MySQL for its DB rather than SQLite too.  So its difficult to know what the cause is or causes are... but something
> is definitely not quite right and the issue(s) can really seriously jam up regions even when a sole user has logged off
> for some time, or a single user is trying to get back in after a jam up.
>
> It sounds like those of us using the most recent viewers based on LL 3.3.x just before it stopped supporting OpenSim may
> not be getting helpful results to report if the HTTP inventory CAPS fall back mechanism is also broken in some TPVs
> based on LL 3.3.x code (like Firestorm and Dolphin?)
>
> I will try to watch for recurrent symptoms and report what I can as the Mantis entry is filed and others home in on the
> issue.

Okay, I have now created Mantis 6412 [1] for investigation of this issue.

I have just today made some fixes so that updates to folder inventory versions stored by OpenSimulator now match those
assumed by the viewers and stored in its cache.  Previously, version folder number was only correctly incremented on
item add, whereas the viewer was also expecting updates on item move/remove and folder create/remove/move.  If the
folder version stored by the viewer was greater than that reported by the simulator, the viewer would dump its cached
information.

Now that the numbers match, the viewer no longer dumps this information.  I'm hoping that this will lead to much more
use of the inventory cache viewer-side and reduce the number of inventory requests.  It also appears to resolve an issue
where updates of the "Current Outfit" folder via external mechanisms (or perhaps another viewer) would not show up in
the viewer until 2 relogs or a cache clear.

So as I know you follow the master code, Ai, could you test this and see if it has an impact?  This will need a ROBUST
update, and so will not be live on osgrid until the services are updated there, but if I remember you've also seen this
on your own grid.  To have an effect, as above, it may require 2 viewer relogs and/or a cache clear.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=6412

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting