[Opensim-users] Can I rely on consistent UUIDs for things imported from different grids using IAR/OAR files?

Karen Palen karenpalensl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:10:27 UTC 2012

IAR/OAR does this correctly, however the various viewer based "backups"
create NEW objects (NEW UUID) each time!

Apart from that consider that the odds of a truly random "duplicate"
UUID is about the same as putting your hand into the ground outside your
house and finding a huge diamond!

"Possible" does NOT imply "probable"!

Somewhere Diva has posted a much better analysis of this situation based
on actual experience with OpenSIm - in essence she concludes that the
odds of a truly "random" UUID collision are essentially zero, but
various people (for good or evil) deliberately DUPLICATE UUIDs for
various reasons. :-(

There are several solutions none of which *I* would call "desirable"
(although executing violators DOES have its appeal at "o-dark 30"), but
essentially you CANNOT assume that the UUID is truly unique.

Sigh

Karen