[Opensim-users] Disappointed in Tide feature.

InuYasha Meiji inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 09:29:42 UTC 2012

It isn't really anyone's fault, but I feel a bit disappointed in the
osSetRegionWaterHeight(i); command.    I use the example script.  The
one script that allows you to click on the object containing the script
and it makes the water level rise and fall.  I have all my ini files
correct and the script does work.

I got the water moving really pretty smoothly.  I was filled with
excitement at the thought of at certain intervals, about as often as the
sun moves in the sky, I could have a script check for the sun/moon
position and move the water level according to the moon height in the
sky.  I tried doing this myself.  BUT, here is the problem.  Until then
I didn't realize while being the only one on my grid at that time that
stopping to press the flag (The item I placed the script for testing), I
wasn't attempting to walk while the water made its movement.

I only noticed when attempting to check sun position and move the water,
while taking a walk.  Is tides to look like real tidal forced impossible
to do in opensim, without causing this issue, and I am doing something
horribly wrong?  Can it be done.  Or would moving the water and walking
smoothly just something you can't do especially on multiple sims all at
once?

All this time I had been using the whole possibility of tides in opensim
as one of the more noticeable differences between SL and  opensim, to
start up conversations about it.  It disappoints me a little that I have
to tell these people I tried it and it really messes things up when I
tried it.

I love opensim, and won't quit over just this.  So much great work has
been going into it, and I appreciate it so much.  It give people like
me, on fixed incomes, the disabled who don't know how long we can pay
Linden Labs, to enjoy a virtual environment a free place to go and enjoy
our dream world.  Thanks to all of your hard volunteer work.

Thanks again,
InuYasha

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.2 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Mesages all working.