[Opensim-users] How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

Miller, Peter pmiller at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 18:01:48 UTC 2012

Possibly worth trying:

http://lslwiki.net/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=LibraryRopeConstraint

Best wishes

Peter

________________________________
From: opensim-users-bounces at lists.berlios.de [opensim-users-bounces at lists.berlios.de] on behalf of Trinity [trinity93 at gmail.com]
Sent: 23 March 2012 06:33
To: opensim-users at lists.berlios.de
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

a possible hint to a solution: A lot of people use particles for chains and ropes between collars or cuffs and poles for bdsm things

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Wade Schuette <wade.schuette at gmail.com<mailto:wade.schuette at gmail.com>> wrote:
If there is physics support for a hanging rope (or chain or cord or elastic band) connected at both ends,  I have never seen it, and I've looked for it many times, for swings and ropes connecting my sailboat to the pier, etc.

If someone else has seen this work, let us know!  Maybe there's some way to do it with "mesh" objects these days.

Flexiprims only connect at one end, and you can't chain them together.  Chains of links don't work because, well, physics is pretty bad -- they tend to explode or do other strange things.

You could fake the appearance of a cord by having a photograph of a hanging cord on a flat prim, and very cleverly stretching and rotating the prim -- but that would only work if you knew where both ends of the cord should be, and,  as you either know or will find out soon,   the avatar and attachments are all managed on the CLIENT, and the SERVER only knows where the avatar center of mass is,  let alone where an arm is, or a hand, or a held object like a handset.

And, there is no way to have a held handset report its region coordinates, because it doesn't know itself where it is. If you ask for llGetPos() or something, you get the coordinates of the center of mass of the avatar.   Sigh.

So,  basically, no, there is no good way to have anything that looks like a realistic cord connecting two objects,  at all (unless mesh does it), let alone one object that is an attachment and another object that is not an attachment, that I know of.

Wade