[Opensim-users] Sim size limits

Cosmo gossamer at hol.gr
Fri Mar 23 14:46:27 UTC 2012

Greetings, this indeed is a very interesting thread, an eye-opener to my newb
(in the ways & works of opensim) eyes.

Besides my personal fascination with Opensim, being a senior tutor in a
small art & design college I can't help but to see the endless possibilities
for educational & presentational purposes. So I've set forth to propose a
plan for our designers community launch into the metaverse!

Step one is to get key people familiarized (and hooked) with the environment
& possibilities, and thanks to the hassle-free portability of sim-on-a-stick
(thx to Diva) this is going well.

This is where *Mega-regions* come into play, since is the way sim-on-a-stick
is preconfigured for it's hussle-free initial setup. I started building and
experimenting under the assumption that "megas" work the same way
(build-wise) as normal regions. But especially when I came to NPC
experimentation & the all important, in my case, parcel media
implementations I run into what *James Stallings* so adequately describes.

Some points/questions for verification/clarification or advice that would be
hugely appreciated:

James Stallings II wrote

> llMoveToTarget,llTarget and osNpcMoveToTarget do not function in X/Y>256;
> nor does llGround. This necessarily limits some functionality with NPCs,
> certain AOs, etc.

Does this mean restriction of above functions within the SW region /or/
within the 256x256 region the npc was created on?

James Stallings II wrote

> Parceling, and all things dependent on parceling are also no-go, except in
> the 'root' or southwest-most region.

Since subdivision of land into parcels seems to be the way for multiple
streaming media, should subdividing a mega-region for multi parcel media
usage been thought of any differently than regular region subdivision?

Should one go ahead and create parcels on a mega-region or move to a 4
region config. before starting "parceling"? (and I ask this in regard to the
aptly noted "working alongside of ongoing development efforts or even
waiting on them" since megas are still marked experimental on
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Feature_Matrix OS feature matrix )

How about OAR support for megaregions, is it still
http://zonjacapalini.wordpress.com/2010/02/13/splitting-megaregions/ partial
?
I have been switching to each region in our mega via console (as I was
advised) to save each regions oar, is this enough for restoring if/when
necessary? or am I in for some future grief?

Also I have heard of Teleportation Issues (?) - but these could be on
teleporting between megas & normal regions - I haven't experienced any such
problems within a mega myself.

All in all, seems quite important to me to be able to pick a way move at
this point (mega or separate regions) depending on your comments or
directions for further investigation on the above.

Thanks

Cosmo T.

-----
“If you focus your mind on the freedom and community that you can build by staying firm, you will find the strength to do it.”