[Opensim-users] Round Two of Academic Paper on OpenSimulator Community

Robin Teigland Robin.Teigland at hhs.se
Tue Mar 13 22:28:04 UTC 2012

Hello,

Paul Di Gangi, Zeynep Yetis, and I just finished the second version of our
academic paper based on our research of the OpenSimulator Community.

While the first round of the paper
<http://nordicworlds.net/2012/01/15/academic-research-paper-on-opensim-comm
unity/> was based on data for the community¹s first two years, this
version
presents an analysis of the community during and between two periods: 1)
August 2007 to September 2009 and 2) October 2009 to October 2011.

Zeynep will present our paper on Wednesday, March 14, 2012 in Redondo
Beach, California at the Sunbelt XXXII Conference,
<http://www.insna.org/sunbelt/current.html>, organized by The
International Network for Social Analysis (INSNA). Additionally, we just
received word that the first version of the paper was accepted for
presentation at the Academy of Management Conference
<http://meeting.aomonline.org/2012/> in Boston, Massachusetts in August
2012. Both these conferences  are the leading international conference in
their field.

The abstract and the paper can be accessed here:
http://nordicworlds.net/2012/03/14/round-two-of-academic-paper-on-opensimul
ator-community/.

 In many regards, the paper is still work-in-progress, but now that we
have data from two periods, we will work on refining and strengthening our
theoretical arguments and analysis so that we can submit the paper to a
journal for publication. We will also continue to collect data for a paper
focused on entrepreneurship within the OpenSimulator community to be
written together with Christina Huitfeldt,

Paul, Zeynep, and I would like to sincerely THANK the members of the
OpenSimulator Community for their openness and helpfulness in conducting
this study.  Not only is it extremely interesting to work with you, it is
a real pleasure! We would also like to thank Tomas Larsson and Christina
Huitfeldt for their support in our data collection and analysis.

If you have any questions or comments about our research or if you are
interested in participating in some way in our data collection and
analysis, please do not hesitate to contact me.

/Robin

---------
Robin Teigland, PhD
Associate Professor
Center for Strategy and Competitiveness
Stockholm School of Economics
Stockholm, Sweden
www.hhs.se/csc
www.knowledgenetworking.org
www.slideshare.net/eteigland
twitter: RobinTeigland
Second Life: Karinda Rhode
OpenSim: Robin Teigland

Check out NVWN - Nordic Worlds Virtual Network!  An international,
inter-disciplinary project co-funded by NICe investigating
entrepreneurship and innovation through virtual worlds and the 3D
internet: www.nordicworlds.net or on twitter: #NVWN.

MIS Quarterly September 2011 Special Issue on Virtual Worlds
Senior Guest Editors Molly Wasko, Robin Teigland, Dorothy Leidner, Sirkka
Jarvenpaa