[Opensim-users] Hypergrid & USB Sticks Part 2

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 12 22:02:47 UTC 2012

On 12/03/12 14:12, Owen Kelly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am afraid I did not explain as much as I should have done (or as clearly). Please let me make one more attempt, and then we can let it lie :)
>
> 1. The children in the project are ten years old. The version of Imprudence we are using has all the menus (and currently the maps) stripped out.
> 2. The children are using Open Sim on a USB stick precisely so that they can use it from anywhere: from school (maybe), from home (definitely), and possibly from other places including friends and relatives.
> 3. Each world-on-a-stick is one-user only. They cannot ever directly visit any other child's world-on-a-stick.
>
> The system we envisage is strictly radial. At the centre is one social world, running on the university server at Arcada. Each spoke is a single world-on-a-stick that should ideally operate in two modes: a) as a strictly one-user personal pocket world, and b) as a means of connecting to the social world.
>
> The social world is a club-house, populated only by the class of children and their two teachers. Ideally children would be able to bring things from their pocket world into the social world and take things back to their social world. Thus children can make things and then share them. They can take snapshots of their own world and share them. But the cannot take anyone else back to their personal world.
>
> The reasons why we want to make it like this are quite complicated, and off-topic for this list, but I can post a link to a short paper if anyone is interested. (Short version: Pokemon is a single player experience. Pokemon Arena allowed you to move your Pokemon into a shared world and compete against your friends.  Private learning linked to social games.)
>
> I will try some experiments with Justin's ideas about landmarks. These raise the question of whether I actually need hypergridding at all. What I think I actually need is to be able to teleport between the two worlds. Can this be done without making the social world fully accessible?
>
> Is there a better approach to achieve what we want?

You are trying to do something that I would say is currently very complex.  There are also security issues (opening up
ports to enable hypergrid from outside your network) which running in a private vpn may alleviate (a big topic in
itself).  Children make such issues more critical.

Using hypergrid will also require good upload bandwidth from the children's home computers.  I would say better than
your typical ADSL line but I'd be very happy to be contradicted on this.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog