[Opensim-users] Collada importing snags

Wade Schuette wade.schuette at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 20:19:04 UTC 2012

I have the vague impression from my own experience importing buildings
into OpenSim 7.2 that it can make a difference in results whether the
cache is clear or not.   I seem to get correct results more often when I
start with a clear cache.

I'm working on a MacBook Pro with the latest Mac operating system and
using both Firestorm and Second Life clients,  which  works better if
the cache is cleared between different clients, so maybe that's all I'm
seeing.

In either case, it sounds like multiple simultaneous processes are
collaborating on doing the analysis and import, and something that is
supposed to be atomic, and is atomic on an unhindered workstation,
turns out to miss-connections on some portion of the work,  perhaps more
often when it runs into constraints which, in a perfectly programmed
world, would be invisible.

It suggests doing imports would work better with a recently-rebooted
computer,  a clear cache,  and as few as possible other programs and
processes competing for cpu-cycles and disk-writes and memory.

Wade