[Opensim-users] Exception

InuYasha Meiji inuyasha.meiji at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 07:29:32 UTC 2012

Wow, sorry so long in replying.  It took a while to read all this info,
then a long few days of personal doctor's visits.  I am better now, but
WOW!  This is going to be a huge undertaking.  I am a little worried
about doing all this.  Right now it runs at least.  I can log onto my
grid, a few friends can also, one all the way from Australia.  I have
everything except search working.  I didn't bother going to all the
trouble only because hardly any new viewers seem to suport the old way
search used to work, and none so far lets you change the viewer from
defaulting to SL's search web sight.  I might have to try to work out
something with PHP and my own search web page. But for now, to conserve
memory and run smoother I want to figure this out.

MY problem is, I don't want to loose any of my current data, builds,
clothing ect.  I don't wish to be on hypergrid.  I wanted a way to run
my 56 regions, cut up as 8 regions by 7 north to south.  I guess that
could be 14 sets of 4 regions?

Reading the
http://signpostmarv.name/2011/02/10/deploying-opensim-on-windows-server-2008/
information I am guessiong the clusters she speaks of is sort of like
nameing each set of four??  So that ever 4 regions get their own
directories??  She mentioned setting all these things to blank or
comment out, and I say whoa, I have it all working, that will kill all
my hard work getting all those to work properly.

I also already have many of the things she mentions installed and why it
confuses me a bit.  Does Robust run opensim for you? Because if I want
multiple instances won't I need more opened ports.  I already have them
opens for all my regions.  Those that only means I need to open the
ports I wasn't using before like 8002,8003?  The rest I had to get my
stand alone going.

You can see why since I have my standalone working reading her blog,
starting me at scratch would get confusing.

Hate to be a past, I hope you understand why.
Thanks for your time and effort.
InuYasha.

On 6/30/2012 5:48 PM, Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:
> I'm afraid I really have no clue; I haven't used Windows in over a dozen years :)
>
> You might be better off following SignpostMarv's instructions for Windows Server 2008: http://signpostmarv.name/2011/02/10/deploying-opensim-on-windows-server-2008/
>
> Also check Fleep Tuque's notes: http://fleep.wikispaces.com/ — she's running Windows, too.
>
> "screen" is a quiet, nice little Unix application that allows a virtual console to remain attached to a running application in the background. I'm pretty sure it's not available under Windows except if you use CygWin, and would probably not be much useful anyway (you can keep all the OpenSim instances simply running, each one on its cmd.exe shell, all open). On the other hand, and this is just an opinion, going through the pains of installing CygWin on top of a Windows server is a bit overkill these days.
>
> So you can just launch your instances with
>
> 	mono OpenSim.exe -hypergrid=true -inidirectory="./grid/instanceXX"
>
> or even leave -hypergrid=true if you don't want to provide HyperGird teleporting functionality to visiting users.
>
> It looks like "monit" is really a Unix-only application (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/monit-general/2006-06/msg00048.html) but which can apparently also run under CygWin. I've tried to look for a Windows replacement to "monit" but couldn't find anything which is as lightweight as "monit" and provides similar functionality, but I'm sure there are other tools allowing you to check for running processes in Windows 7 somehow (there are tons of them for Unix; monit is just very simple and convenient, and easy to configure) and restart them when they reach certain thresholds.
>
> If you have OpenSim.exe running as a 64-bit process under Windows 7, I'm sure Robust will do so, too :)
>
> Good luck,
>
> 	- Gwyn
>

> On 2012/06/30, at 21:31, InuYasha Meiji wrote:
>
>> Yeah it does, and Gwyn, I just read over your page. Very informative. I will give it a try soon. Right now it is Hot over 80f and to humid to sit at my desk today. I do have a question. Most of your page is geared to Lynix and MAC, I can convert most of it and know what I am doing. I do want to be more positive on this line:
>>
>> cd <path to your opensim install>/bin
>> screen -S instanceXX-d -m -l mono OpenSim.exe -hypergrid=true -inidirectory="./grid/instanceXX"
>>
>> What would that be for Windows?  I have no idea what the screen -s command dose...
>>
>> The rest is very clear to me.  Hoping there is a monit for Windows 7 64bit also.
>>
>> As it is everything I run including my apache and MySQL are 64 bit.  I hope so is Robust.
>>
>> All my best to you and thanks again
>> InuYasha
>>
> --
> "I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
>    -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Mesages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).