[Opensim-users] Hypergrid Outbound Probs & HG AddressConfusion

Fleep Tuque fleep513 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 11:15:29 UTC 2011

Many thanks to everyone who replied about the current situation with
Hypergrid - I didn't realize the version I'm running (7.1) is incompatible
with later versions, which is probably the source of a lot of my outbound
jump failures.  I'll try upgrading today and see if that helps.

I also found Mimetic's argument pretty persuasive for having OSGrid be the
"center" of the HG metaverse.  When I selected the center coords for
FleepGrid (9000,9000), I did so because OSGrid was in the 10k range and I
assumed that was the neighborhood one should start in, and I think it makes
sense for folks who have smaller far less complex grids or those just coming
on board to locate around OSGrid rather than the other way around
considering the incredible complexity of trying to get all of the OSGrid
regions to change locations.  *It would be nice if the user community could
come to consensus on that issue and make it known* so that unsuspecting new
grid managers don't have to go through the frustrations I just did trying to
understand what the deal is.

I'd also seriously encourage anyone who publishes their hypergrid addresses
to please please also publish the region coords and current opensim version
it's running, because it's immensely frustrating for those trying to learn,
test, or just travel the hypergrid to not have that information.  Of course
now that I realize that you can't make a jump to a region with the exact
same coords your region has,  I'll probably be offsetting the coords for the
regions on FleepGrid, but I'll be staying in the 9000 range and make sure to
publish the coords and versions to hopefully save some other poor hapless
traveler some confusion.

And now to upgrade to the latest RC and see what happens...  :)

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
Project Manager, UC Second Life
UCit Instructional & Research Computing