[Opensim-users] OpenSim release candidate 0.7.2-rc2 now available

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 23 23:54:21 UTC 2011

Hi folks.  The second OpenSim release candidate, 0.7.2-rc2 is now available from the downloads page [1].  Unlike the
first release candidate, I'm announcing this one more publicly.  Please see the release notes [2] for more details.

I've been a little bit naughty in that rc2 actually contains quite significant fixes since rc1.  In particular, there
are further improvements to attachments handling and fixes to problems where opensim would crash viewer 3 (or I could
say viewer 3 would crash itself by not properly checking it's inputs ;)

There is also a significant new feature, which is automatic creation on standalone of a default set of body
parts/clothing for a new avatar.  This is to stop such avatars appearing as clouds in viewer 2/3.  Unlike viewer 1,
later viewers do not ship with a default avatar ("Ruth") to display.

This feature is active by default on standalone but inactive in grid mode, since many grids have other mechanisms for
setting up default avatars.  It can be controlled via the CreateDefaultAvatarEntries config in the [UserAccountService]
section.

As in the past, OpenSim should be considered alpha code in many situation so we are only guaranteed to look at serious
regressions from previous releases.

Thanks to everyone who made this release candidate possible!

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Download
[2] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7.2_Release

Best Regards,

--