[Opensim-users] Hypergrid Outbound Probs & HG Address Confusion

Fleep Tuque fleep513 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 16:56:39 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble hypergridding FROM FleepGrid, though it appears many
folks are able to hypergrid TO FleepGrid just fine.  In testing, I've not
yet been able to successfully hypergrid out of FleepGrid to any destination,
and I'm having a lot of confusion about the 4096 limitation to figure out
suitable grids/regions to try to teleport to so I can chase down what's
going wrong.

In the course of trying to chase down the problem, I've got several
questions that I'm hoping someone on the list can either answer or point me
to better resources for finding the answers.

QUESTION 1:  I understand Diva is encouraging everyone to relocate their
sims to centers less than 4096,4096 and I understand why based on this blog
post - The 4096 "Bug": http://metaverseink.com/blog/?p=222  It appears many
people are NOT changing their coords to the lower centers, is there a reason
why?  If I'm reading Diva's post correctly, the limitation is not going to
go away any time soon so I'm wondering why folks aren't changing them to
make hypergridding easier for travelers..  I haven't changed them on
FleepGrid yet either (9000,9000) and trying to decide what's the best course
to take both for FleepGrid and for the University of Cincinnati grid we're
about to install.

QUESTION 2:  If people aren't going to change to lower centers, then don't
we all need to publish the region centers in addition to the HG address in
order for travelers to know whether they can make the jump or not?  I'm
finding http://www.hyperica.com/complete-grid-list/ completely unhelpful as
a directory because I don't know the region centers or  opensim/hg versions
for most of the destinations.  So when my jump fails, I don't know if it's a
problem on my end or because the region was too far away or because it's on
a different version than me.   The Hypergrid Mall is another example,
http://hypergridmall.com/ - Right on the front page it has the hypergrid
address, but no center coords or version info, so when my jump fails, I
don't know why.

QUESTION 3:  I'm completely confused about the correct formatting for a
hypergrid URL.  I've seen so many variations!

secondlife://domain.com:8002:RegionName
http://domain.com:8002:RegionName
http://hg.domain.com:8002:RegionName

Also not sure about proper formatting for region names with spaces in them,
is a "%20" required or not?  Which of the following is correct?

http://domain.com:8002:Region%20Name
http://domain.com:8002:Region Name
http://domain.com:8002: Region Name

QUESTION 4:  FleepGrid is running OpenSim 0.7.1 Release (interface version
7) and FleepGrid Plaza is centered at 9000,9000 currently, but I also have a
Hypergate region at 5000,5000 and 13000,13000.  If you're running a
compatible version of opensim and theoretically I SHOULD be able to
hypergrid to your destination, can you reply with the address so I can give
it a try on a known "should work" region?  I'm finding so many broken
addresses and links and things I'm going crazy trying to figure out what's
wrong with hypergridding out.

I've reviewed the wiki pages http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Hypergrid and
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Installing_and_Running_Hypergrid but I'm
obviously still confused about some things.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts or suggestions, and sorry if I'm behind
the curve..

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
Project Manager, UC Second Life