[Opensim-users] ToS and HG

Karen Palen karenpalensl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 07:20:32 UTC 2011

I can only repeat what I learned in my "setting up a business" seminar a
few years ago:

"Your goal should NEVER be to make your TOS/Rules/Agreement legally
bulletproof. If there is that much money involved that it is really
necessary then you need to spend the money for a lawyer!

"What you should do is try very hard to make the rules/ToS/Agreement
state exactly what you mean and be extremely clea rin stating that. This
is the starting point if you hire a lawyer anyway.

"If you do a good enough job then people will either comply, or go away
(be banned!). Even if it ends up in court the fact that it was clearly
written and easy to understand will be a major help in your case.

"Lawsuits generally only result from two or more parties come up with
different interpretations about what was said or agreed. If it is
completely clear then there is simply no point in going to court!"

Sadly that level of clarity is harder to do than it seems, and you might
want to hire a lawyer just to get the phrasing exactly right and
consider all of the possibilities.

In any event plan on several drafts, and get a couple of people who see
the document for the first time to read it and tell you in their own
words what they think it says. You WILL be surprised the first few times
you do this - I KNOW!! :-)

Oh yes if you are planning on something that large/critical, then ALSO
look into setting up a business entity (Corporation, LLC, or whatever)
to run it.

See http://www.keytlaw.com/ for a summary of this aspect.

"Information & Articles about Arizona and United States Law"

Keyt is an Arizona/US lawyer, but the issues he raises are universal. I
highly recommend studying his website!

As Keyt says in one of his articles, the day the process server knocks
on the door is one day too late!

Karen