[Opensim-users] HELP - hosting from my home

Karen Palen karenpalensl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 06:59:50 UTC 2011

Drew,

I have to wonder why you want to START with Grid mode - it is a far more
complex setup than Standalone!

As a first try, why not use the Diva Standalone which comes with a
superb tutorial and set up instructions! 5 steps on Win, each with step
by step instructions.

She also includes a website/logon screen and Wifi user management package.

IMHO it is a true masterpiece!

There are a lot of subtle traps in setting up a public grid, Diva has
managed to avoid them with her tutorial.

Security and grid management are two of the issues that Diva has
addressed as well!

With a T1 line and "average" computer today you should be able to handle
20 concurrent users in a standalone. I have an AMD X3 (very low end)
using Ubuntu which happily handles 30-35 users via my LAN.

My 27Mb/s down, 5Mb/s up, cable connection seems to handle 4-5 users
with no problems.

Best of all actually running a standalone for a month or so will teach
you the issues and tradeoffs that will will face if you do decide to
grow larger.

KISS principle and "baby steps" - MUCH better to start and "inch"
towards what you want than try to start with the "ultimate" that never
does get working right!

Karen