[Opensim-users] software tip: Free and open web-based board for OpenSim!

dz dz at bitzend.net
Sat Oct 29 16:00:36 UTC 2011

>   4. software tip: Free and open web-based board for   OpenSim!
>      (DutchGlory)

Thank you for sharing.

Unless you already have a LOT of these boards in SecondLife and porting them
is an issue, I would recommend that you check out the Dynamic Text Functions
@ http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OSSL_Implemented before cluttering your sims
with Prim/Script heavy objects like Xyzzy implementations.   Even the Second
Life scripting library has 4 or 5 alternate implementations dedicated to
improving the performance of this implementation.

Another option is the use of the Media On a Prim functionality that has been
available in OpenSim for a while now.  Although it does require viewers
capable of rendering it, these objects have minimal impact on sim
performance, offer immediate implementations for a huge range of fonts and
character sets, and are much less restrictive in the number of characters or
lines you can put in your message.

This page (
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Becky_Pippen/Shared_Media_LSL_Recipes )
has a bunch of VERY good "recipes"  for how to integrate HTML formatted
content onto prims,  using both in-world scripting alone, and a combination
of in-world and back end designs.

dz