[Opensim-users] Upload images larger than 1024x1024?

Mimetic Core core at odosys.net
Sat Oct 22 19:27:10 UTC 2011

afaik, it's one of those SL legacy limitations at the viewer end of the
equation.  to this day i still have to segment large textures (ie, for
skybox environments and REALLY large objects) but i sympathize with your
desire to avoid the extra work.  i also remember reading or hearing
something back in SL days about textures above 1024* not being worth the
trouble since inworld images are bound to powers of 2 and that would
force a new size class of 2048* which begins to bog down the already
overworked server.  oddly enough, SL once allowed 2048* images many
moons ago so perhaps it's possible to reactivate that option at either
the viewer or server level..

also, i'm not sure which image editing software you're using but
(assuming Photoshop) you can utilize the image slicing function that
is used for cutting up large graphics for websites.  it also works
perfectly for segmented SL/OpenSim textures.  here's a video explaining
how to do it.  if you choose to go this route i hope it helps a bit.
cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJbYIpVDv0

- Core/Jason