[Opensim-users] rez/not-rez avis within DrawDist

Ovi Chris Rouly maelzel at ieee.org
Thu Oct 6 16:31:32 UTC 2011

Hi All,

does anyone know why the following happens?  Perhaps, even to explain what the underlying process(es) are?  Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Best regards,

Chris

Problem:
I cannot rez newly arrived/arriving/approaching avatars until they are (literally) within a few meters (of me).  Yet, once an avatar has rezzed, I can continue to rez them (they persist) until they are at the limits of my SLViewer DrawDist settings even as they walk or fly away to the limits of my Viewer's draw distance (and across region boundaries).  The offending avatar can either be a PersonControlled avatar (via SLViewer) or an NPC (via OpenMetaverse 0.9).  Moreover, I can see (for example in an NPC debug console window) that the "new" avatar has sent a AgentSentAppearance packet to OpenSim and that "moments later" the white particle cloud of the new avatar clears but is not replaced by a rezzed, fully textured avatar.  Only when the avatar approaches my postion does it ever rez.

CPU: 2-Xeon, 3.3GHz, w/48GB RAM
Video card: NVidia 295
OS: MS XP-64 SP2

OpenSim Version: 0.7.2-rc2
Mode: StandAlone w/HyperGrid
OpenSimDefaults.ini: see_into_this_sim_from_neighbor = true

SLViewer revision: 1.23.5
SLViewer:Preferences:Graphics: DrawDist=512m and "all" other settings set to *MAX*
SLViewer:Preferences:Graphics:AvatarRendering: Avatar Impostors on/off (no change)