[Opensim-users] Set whisper distance to zero ? Alternative debug channel ?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri May 13 23:10:15 UTC 2011

On 13/05/11 12:00, Simon Slavin wrote:

>> Another complex solution would be to have scripts which interface with an external webserver via the http LSL methods.
>
> I'd like to do this on a stand-alone laptop.  I should definitely have said that in my original post.

You could start a webserver on the same machine and use localhost in the URLs.  However, you would need to write
php/perl/whatever on the backend to accept the incoming messages and put them to a file.  It is a bit of work, though
since this is the kind of solution that would also be valid for the Linden grid there might be some software out there.

You could even log back to OpenSim's own http server, though then you'd need to write c# (or perhaps python) to handle
it, at which point you might as well be writing a region module.

>> Writing to a notecard via osMakeNotecard might be another approach, though surprisingly there doesn't appear to be an OSSL function that writes lines to an existing notecard.  Maybe there should be one.
>
> It's really useful for me to be able to get at the log, in a predictable place, after we've stopped the simulation.  I worked out how to access a particular notecard's text using SQL, but it's easier to read the chat log because it's just a particular text file in a particular directory.

Yeah.  Now I think about it for more than a minute, continually adding to a notecard would be a bad idea since a new
asset would be created on every single add, due to the way that the Second Life asset system works.

There are ways to hack around this but none of them would be pleasant and they could break the asset for anybody who has
a cached version.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog