[Opensim-users] Set whisper distance to zero ? Alternative debug channel ?

Simon Slavin s.slavin at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri May 13 11:00:22 UTC 2011

On 12 May 2011, at 2:57pm, Neil Canham wrote:

> You could log in an avatar solely for the purpose, hide it away up high or in a corner of the sim, them use the script to send it IMs which would be logged in the chat logs.

I think I'm just going to have individual objects do the whispering.  The other things to do a highly object oriented, and it fits the programming style if I do things like have a drawer whisper "mylog: timestamp: Drawer #6 opened".  Then I extract every line with the word 'mylog' in.

On 13 May 2011, at 3:49am, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> There is an LSL print() method
>
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Print
>
> implemented in OpenSim which will print the text to the OpenSim.log if the OSSL threat level is set high, with text beginning LSL print():
>
> Crudely, you could scan the log and extract lines beginning with this.

I didn't know about that.  That's a nice solution for me.  I'll check it out.

> The heavyweight solution would be to write a region module that could log text sent to it via the modSendCommand() function

I'm hesitant to start writing my own .NET code.

> http://justincc.org/blog/2010/07/16/passing-data-between-a-script-and-a-region-module-with-modsendcommand/
>
> Another complex solution would be to have scripts which interface with an external webserver via the http LSL methods.

I'd like to do this on a stand-alone laptop.  I should definitely have said that in my original post.

> Writing to a notecard via osMakeNotecard might be another approach, though surprisingly there doesn't appear to be an OSSL function that writes lines to an existing notecard.  Maybe there should be one.

It's really useful for me to be able to get at the log, in a predictable place, after we've stopped the simulation.  I worked out how to access a particular notecard's text using SQL, but it's easier to read the chat log because it's just a particular text file in a particular directory.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.  This list is extremely useful for someone who has to dive into OpenSim very quickly.

Simon.