[Opensim-users] [0.7.1] Maptiles not showing in Place Information window

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Mon May 9 20:06:41 UTC 2011

Unfortunately, it looks like some bugs affecting the map have crept in
0.7.1, as we moved to make the map work for Viewer2. I already fixed
them in the branch 0.7.1-dev post-fixes. These bugs might be enough to
justify a minor release, 0.7.1.1, in a couple of weeks.

---

In the process of fixing these bugs, one important issue has emerged,
pointed to by Teravus. When it comes to the map,  it looks like the
viewers behave strangely for regions whose coordinates are above 4096.
Some important things they request below 4096 aren't requested above
4096. Yes, it's the 4096 viewer bug again, this time affecting more than
just teleports -- the map itself.

Specifically, above 4096, when you open the map you only see the regions
-8 to +8 from your current region, even when there are regions beyond
that. (This -/+8 value is a hack provided by OpenSim, because by default
you would see only the current region and nothing else) This behavior
can be seen in OSGrid, for example. If you then click on a tile beyond
that -/+ 8 square, you get another -/+ 4 tiles around the one you
clicked (again, -/+4 hack provided by OpenSim). In grids below 4096, the
map behaves normal, you see all regions around.

This worries me, as I think a functional map is a very good thing
indeed. OSGrid being in 10000's, it pushes a lot of other worlds towards
that number too, which means that none of those worlds above 4096 will
have issue-free maps. And I hate to see hacks being introduced in
OpenSim just to go around strange viewer limitations. So, I'm bummed
with today's discovery.