[Opensim-users] Room management application

Karl Haas haaskarl81 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 04:32:59 UTC 2011

On 04/29/2011 05:53 PM, Toni Alatalo wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Karl Haas wrote:
>
>>     * Would it be an appropriate approach to write a region module,
>>       which creates and manages the rooms and the objects within the
>>       rooms?
>>

> I would do it as a region module, we've had good experience with those
> in a learning env project and others, where have made code that saves
> / loads / configures / generates etc. scenes.

I think I will try to implement a region module which should manage all
created objects.

>>     * What's are possible ways to communicate with an external
>>       service (e.g. the room manager)?
>>

> Anything is possible, you can write whatever code in our module. Use
> everything that .net provides or other libs.
>
> What would be best is a good question :)
>
> What sort of communication do you need? Realtime two way stuff? With
> complex or simple data?
>
> Something custom with a TCP socket, doing http polling xml-rpc / json
> style, using some existing realtime protocol .. lots of options.
>
> Also one option is just running the whole room manager app in the
> opensim module, but have it expose a http/html ui to ouside too. Might
> be most straightforward, 'cause then you don't need to communicate
> over the net, but can just call the functions in the other parts of
> your system etc.

I want to write an external service which manages all rooms of an
organisation (just a proof of concept). It should be possible to connect
also other virtual worlds or also a real world room management tool. The
management service has to be able to send a room configuration to the
OpenSim region module at a scheduled time (room reservation) and the
region module has to send the content or position of the objects to the
management service. It should be possible to save the state of the
learning session for later continuation. Therefore I need a two way
communication.

Thanks for your help!

Karl