[Opensim-users] Want to log avvie position and facing direction to a file

Simon Slavin s.slavin at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 16:35:19 UTC 2011

On 31 Mar 2011, at 2:09pm, Neil Canham wrote:

> The SecondLife clients or whichever third party alternative you are using will have the ability to log chat and IM - typically it's turned on by default (V1 SL viewers and Imprudence at have IM logging on by default I think, can't speak about V2).  Go to Preferences->Communication - see 'Logging Options' for details and the path.

Found it.  Okay, this is far better than HTTP since it's faster and logging will work just fine on a laptop disconnected to the internet.  Now I need to learn enough about the chat commands to see if I can make things go into one of these files without them appearing on the screen.  But I'm far more confident about that since the documentation seems better.

Oh dear, the timestamp is only accurate to the minute.  Never mind I can get my own 'llGetTime( )' and include that.

> The chat from each object or AV in range of the AV logged into the viewer goes into a separate .txt file, so anything chatted by your position detector object on channel 0 will end up in one file on the client machine(s).

Better still, I can separate out the things I want to log from other stuff I don't care about.

Thank you list, especially Neil but everyone who thought about it, for answering my questions.

Simon.