[Opensim-users] Want to log avvie position and facing direction to a file

Neil Canham neil at knowsense.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 13:09:58 UTC 2011

The SecondLife clients or whichever third party alternative you are using
will have the ability to log chat and IM - typically it's turned on by
default (V1 SL viewers and Imprudence at have IM logging on by default I
think, can't speak about V2).  Go to Preferences->Communication - see
'Logging Options' for details and the path.  The chat from each object or AV
in range of the AV logged into the viewer goes into a separate .txt file, so
anything chatted by your position detector object on channel 0 will end up
in one file on the client machine(s).  This will result in a lot of messages
visible to everyone, unless you relay to a remote location out of chat range
on a hidden channel or have the detector (and nearby AV acting as a chat
logger) out of chat range

IM is less of an option since sending IMs from script is delayed by 2 secs
(although again you could batch messages)

Neil