[Opensim-users] NAT & Corporate Firewall

Edmund Edgar lists at edochan.com
Wed Mar 30 15:03:38 UTC 2011

Hi Fleep.

Maybe you've already tried this, but I'd suggest setting
ExternalHostName as your external IP (129.137.2.x) rather than your
hostname (ucsim1.irc.uc.edu).

Behind NAT, some places (including Amazon EC2, I found) use an (IMHO
evil) thing called Split DNS (or "Split Brain DNS"), where the IP
address you get inside the firewall is different to the one you get
outside your firewall. This may be causing your OpenSim box to think
that ucsim1.irc.uc.edu is 10.23.23.x rather than 129.137.2.x.

HTH, let us know how you get on.

--
Edmund Edgar
Founder, KK Social Minds