[Opensim-users] Media on a prim test not working

Mike O'Brien Michael.T.OBrien at aero.org
Mon Mar 7 22:13:23 UTC 2011

On Mar 4, 2011, at 4:13 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> On 04/03/11 00:05, Mike O'Brien wrote:
>> I'm hoping someone out there will know what's up with this, before
>> I go bother the developers' list.
>>
>> We're keenly interested in the "Media on a prim" capability that's
>> been folded into the development trunk of Opensim. I
>> downloaded the head of the repository, compiled and ran it on an OS
>> X server. It all seems to be running fine...except
>> for the MOAP capability. The code's in the source - I checked to
>> make sure I had the right stuff - and the call compiles
>> and executes. However, it always returns status 0, even when I put
>> garbage in the arguments, and even when the stuff is
>> correct and runs correctly on the Linden grid, it seems to be a no-
>> op in Opensim. Here's the script:
>>
>> default
>> {
>> state_entry()
>> {
>> integer status;
>>
>> llSay(0, "Script running" + " now");
>> status = llSetPrimMediaParams(3, [
>> PRIM_MEDIA_CONTROLS, PRIM_MEDIA_CONTROLS_STANDARD,
>> PRIM_MEDIA_CURRENT_URL, "http://info.aero.org",
>> PRIM_MEDIA_HOME_URL, "http://info.aero.org",
>> PRIM_MEDIA_PERMS_INTERACT, PRIM_MEDIA_PERM_OWNER,
>> PRIM_MEDIA_PERMS_CONTROL, PRIM_MEDIA_PERM_OWNER,
>> PRIM_MEDIA_FIRST_CLICK_INTERACT, TRUE]
>> );
>> llSay(0, "Media status is " + ((string)status));
>> }
>> }
>>
>> It always returns "Media status is 0", and there doesn't seem to be
>> anything active on any face of the cube I put the
>> script into.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> There was a bug where llSetPrimMediaParams() was not completely
> setting up the media texture data in the server.  I fixed this in
> commit ec89527 just now, so please give that a whirl.  I tested this
> against the latest Linden Lab viewer (2.5.1).

	Sure enough, that did the trick.  Using a git clone drawn down and
compiled about fifteen minutes ago, I do have a working
llSetPrimMediaParams() call in my Opensimulator grid now.  Thank you
very much!

> You'll also need to supply a valid url (http://info.aero.org doesn't
> currently resolve) and set PRIM_MEDIA_AUTO_PLAY, TRUE.  If you don't
> set the auto play, then the texture doesn't appear even if you
> manually set it afterwards.  I don't know yet whether this is a
> server or a client bug.

	Behind our firewall the URL does resolve.  That's the whole point of
this exercise.  No matter what LL says, we can't use their grid.
That's why we were the first company to license our own copy of their
code, but that code is years old and doesn't support MOAP.

	The Opensimulator grid I just compiled does not in fact seem to
require that PRIM_MEDIA_AUTO_PLAY be TRUE, though I haven't tested it
on video yet.  It paints static Web pages just fine without it..

> Further bug reports are very welcome.  It looks like these script
> functions haven't been tested for some time.

	Well, we sure will.  Thanks again!