[Opensim-users] PhyFPS

Serendipity Seraph sseraph at me.com
Thu Sep 23 21:46:52 UTC 2010

On Sep 22, 2010, at 9:39 PM, Karen Palen wrote:

> I can add one more datum point to this, I have the latest Diva distro (V0.7.0.2) standalone running on an Athlon triple core 3X 445 with very light cpu load up to 5 users - the most I have tried.  I documented this in the wiki running on my Intel I7 machine, but the MUCH lower performance low end Athlon (by about 200X!) is giving very similar results. The Athlon was simply chosen as the cheapest CPU on th e market last month (US$64) and has proven to be quite adequate for 10 regions.
>
> The major limit seems to be the IO bandwidth of my consumer cable connection. As noted previously, this dramatically increases CPU usage as the IO "maxes out".
>
> As Teravus commented, scripted objects and things like collisions make a far greater difference than the basic region maintenenace.

Why would most scripts make that much difference unless they are still all getting a huge amount of memory?  Is the script engine that bad?  Does it have to be?    Since not that many things are usually moving about to collide it seems a bit odd that that would so much difference either.   How are these things validated?

- seren