[Opensim-users] Windlight and LightShare in Opensim 0.7

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 11:24:20 UTC 2010

Hi Julia,

Contrary to popular belief, enabling OS functions is not an invitation to be
griefed, hacked, or cracked. Enabling lightshare does not 'open up your
system' in any significant fashion. The characterization of the functions as
concerns threat level was subjective, arbitrary, and inconsistently applied.

If you really want to get this working, I'd suggest literally turning
everything on that may impact the situation, get it working, then start
turning things off until it stops working ;) then turn that last thing back
on.

just for grins, here's my settings, relevantly excerpted:

from the [XEngine] block:

    ; Allow the use of os* functions (some are dangerous)
    AllowOSFunctions = true

    ; Allow the user of LightShare functions
    AllowLightShareFunctions = true

    ; Threat level to allow, one of None, VeryLow, Low, Moderate, High,
VeryHigh, Severe
    OSFunctionThreatLevel = Severe

from the [LightShare] block:

    enable_windlight = true;

Note also that scripts using windlight functions can only be compiled by the
region owner/master avatar. Once compiled I think anyone can run the scripts
;)

Hope this helps!
Cheers
James