[Opensim-users] NPCs DoMoveToPosition vs DoAutoPilot

bodzette Coignet bodzettecoignet at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 18:02:12 UTC 2010

Thanks again Teravus.

Anybody who understands how avatars move willing to take a stab at
sense-checking my vague understanding?

Here's what I think happens when an avatar moves based on the code Teravus
produced and my somewhat vague understanding of scenes and regions:

* There is a scene object where all the avatars who are active in a region
live.

 * Each of the avatars is associated with a scenepresence which is basically
your particular avatar's view of the scene.

* What you need to do to move an avatar is update some part of your
scenepresence and the corresponding scene will ripple through to all the
other scenepresences of the other avatars that have you in their field of
vision.

* So using the rotation of the av, the current position and the destination
position of the av what I need to do is generate the avatar movement
arguments (which I should be able to do by looking at how it's done for a
real avatar and Teravus's code) and create an update of the screnepresence
object for each step the avatar takes until the movement is completed.