[Opensim-users] Most stable monetary system?

Gwyneth Llewelyn gwyneth.llewelyn at gwynethllewelyn.net
Tue Oct 5 13:52:50 UTC 2010

Like Teravus said, my opinion is just a personal recommendation based
on my experience... I signed up as a "tester" with Open Metaverse
Currency (OMC) provided by VirWox (http://www.virwox.com/). The actual
module for OpenSim is being co-developed by the University of Vienna,
and they are very, very friendly in helping to set things up on their
"sandbox" — which is good enough to do all proper testing and make
sure it works with their system, but doesn't actually transfer any
currency. Setting up the "testing" environment is quickly done with
plenty of support. Actual approval to get listed in the currency
exchange depends on a lot of factors (based on credibility, amount of
expected merchants selling content on the grid, and so forth) so it
seems a reasonable serious operation.

VirWox has provided a L$ currency exchange for a long time and is not
exactly a company which just popped up and grabbed an opportunity...
they are just extending their services into as many OpenSim grids as
possible. One great advantage of their service is the ability to
transfer L$ from your Second Life account into currency used in
OpenSim grids, and vice-versa!

Teravus is also quite correct to point out the liabilities of running
such a system, specially if you live in the US or host there. Other
countries are far less paranoid about those things.

	- Gwyn

On 2010/10/03, at 04:06, Teravus Ovares wrote:

> I think if you get an answer to this question, it'll probably be a
> personal recommendation from a list member.
>
> There are a few but none are specifically recommended by the usual
> developers.
>
> If you're going to do currency with or without monetary value, be
> very careful because there are certain liabilities that come with
> that.
>
> Regards
>
> Teravus
>
> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Harri Nyman
> <harri.nyman at shadecorp.net> wrote:
> My users have been nagging me about getting monetary system
> installed, but it seems that most are either difficult to use or
> very unstable - any suggestions which one to use in almost
> production level environment would be very much appriciated.
>
> Harri

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
   -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08