[Opensim-users] Diva Distro - Hitting Walls

iSkye Silverweb iskye.silverweb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 19:13:33 UTC 2010

We're a group of 3 people; one in the UK, the other two in the US.  The one
in the UK is the one with the system on which we've been trying to get our
Diva distro up and running.

We have really struggled with getting external access sorted. We haven't
tried hypergate yet - we want the 3 of us to be able to log into the grid
with our viewers first, since we will be building in there, and we want to
set our home to our grid.

We've tried multiple times, multiple settings, and the closest we got was to
get the registration page on the Web set up and working, and the login page
on the viewer (Imprudence), and the login process started.  Our UK guy was
able to log in from within his network; the two of us in the US are not able
to log in from outside.  The logs showed that OpenSim saw us logging in,
everything looked great, until we got to the handshake stage; we can't get
past that despite trying numerous different settings in the Regions.ini file
and on the router.  Someone in some forum mentioned never seeing LLUDPSERVER
kicking in; we have never seen that either, so if we were supposed to,
that's where our problem seems to lie, but we tried different fixes, but to
no avail.  We're incredibly frustrated and demoralised.

Last night, we decided to start over again on two different computers
(separate times), but now we can't even get the registration page up and the
viewer's grid manager's 'get grid info' can't find our grid address.  We
followed the instructions on this page:
https://github.com/diva/d2/wiki/Installation  and even tried it with MySQL
Workbench on one of the computers while using the command line on the other
one.  Both gave us the same result.  NOTE: We did not try to run OpenSim on
both computers simultaneously, and we made sure to port forward correctly
when attempting one or the other computer.

We even invested in a new router from the ISP with a current firmware
version that supports NAT Loopback, etc.  We tried creating a DMZ, not
having one; we tried turning off uPnP and leaving it on; we tried a numeric
IP address for the external address and the FQDN; we tried 0.0.0.0 for
internal IP and using an internal address.  Two of us actually worked
through the day and all night yesterday/last night trying to get this
working multiple times.  We've seen others successfully getting their grids
up and externally accessible, so we know it's possible, but that apple seems
to be dangling just outside our reach.  It's galling for us because two of
us have backgrounds in systems, network, web and database programming
spanning more than a decade each.

We REALLY could use some help from someone who has done it successfully (all
the way to successful external logins) and maybe wouldn't mind going thru it
with us a bit; a fresh pair of eyes and input from someone who has succeeded
might spot something we've missed or something we've been doing wrong.

Can anyone help, please?