[Opensim-users] NPCs: Quaternions and Vector3?

bodzette Coignet bodzettecoignet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 23:11:22 UTC 2010

So here's a question:

If I want to make an NPC move I need to know which orientation an NPC has
and what way I want it to go.

So I can pretty much understand a Vector 3 which would be move in the
direction of +/- for x,y,z where x is left-right?, y is back-forward? and z
is up-down?

But quaternions I'm having a hard time getting my head around and I have a
hard time coding something when I don't understand what it is.

Is it some representation of rotation in 3D similar to the vector but for
rotation instead?

Is it measured in the naively intuitive +/- 0-360 degrees for each of x,y, z
or is it measured in something more esoteric like radians or something else
entirely?

Anyone give me a quaternions-for-dummies elevator speech run-down so I know
what I'm working with?