[Opensim-users] Out of the box "core" and "necessary" modules

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 17 03:25:37 UTC 2010

On 17/11/10 02:54, Jor3l Boa wrote:
> Justin, why something like Offline messages needs an external service to work?, It's pretty simple compared to other
> things OS is doing :)

A fair amount of the complicated stuff OS is doing is tightly coupled and hard to divide up (e.g. scene handling code).
  With something like offline messages there is already a clear service division, and it's not something that is
absolutely critical for a standalone (which is OpenSim's 'demo' configuration).

Some OpenSim uses have no need for offline messages, while other uses will want much more complicated solutions.  One
can argue that adding this kind of thing to OpenSim core increases the maintenance burden for everybody, even though
it's something only a certain percentage will be interested in.

You could say that putting everything in OpenSim is like trying to bundle everything with Apache.  Instead of having
just a webserver, they could have gone down the road of bundling scripting languages, management tools, consoles, etc.
Of course, it's definitely not a perfect analogy but I think it does convey the advantages of not trying to do
everything for everybody, instead leaving that to other projects which use an HTTPD server as a component (just as we
embed one in OpenSim!)