[Opensim-users] Is "save iar" broken?

Serendipity Seraph sseraph at me.com
Mon Nov 1 23:31:24 UTC 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Marck wrote:

> As Wordfromthe Wise said, it depends on several factors. The backup of my OSgrid inventory with about 5000 items took more than one hour and resulted in a 285 MB iar file.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised at all if John's 29,000 items took a lot longer than 7 hours to backup.

This is a strictly local disk backup, right?  Why would it take anywhere near that long?  Is it the time to pull all the items from the server which I presume is not local?  If so would it be faster for step 1 to simply make a mapping between inventory names and server side ids and send it to the server to complete?   Just thinking out loud and probably with erroneous assumptions to boot.  :)