[Opensim-users] Looking for help reproducing a user study in OpenSim

Lindy McKeown lindyaustralia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 01:05:08 UTC 2010

Elizabeth,
I would agree with nlin that there may be other things worth tracking at the
same time depending on the students. One reason my university uses virtual
worlds is to give the distance education students a more supportive learning
environment and help build relationships with them and between them. Our law
students for example run their own study groups on our island in addition to
what they do in class times. Perhpas there is a bigger picture and that the
uses may differ between on campus and off campus students.

Lindy

On 22 March 2010 17:38, nlin <nlin.message at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Elizabeth,
>
> 2010/3/22, Elizabeth Lowry <emlowry at vt.edu>:
> >  If the full-3D versions of the learning environments in the study lead
> > the greatest improvements in quiz scores, it'll indicate that the greater
> > amount of effort required to build such environments pays off in better
> > learning.
> [...]
> > Is anyone on this list in a position to run a user study in OpenSim with
> 30
> > or more participants by mid to late April?
>
> Although I'm not in a position right now to run this user study, I
> think this is a very interesting and important area to research.
> Having just completed my PhD (Information Science), and with my memory
> still fresh about the design of such user studies, I hope I can offer
> one suggestion: that the effects and benefits of the spatial
> environment may be (more) observable in areas other than post-test
> quiz scores: areas such as learner motivation, communications patterns
> among students, amount of spatial navigation or camera control invoked
> by students in each condition, or other learner behavior might be
> valuable to observe.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -nlin

Lindy McKeown
Skype Lindymac
Twitter Lindymac
Second Life - Decka Mah
Cell: 360 536 5047 (USA)
Email: lindyaustralia at gmail.com
Web: http://lindymckeown.com
Work: Project Officer - Collaboration and Virtual Worlds, Australian Digital
Futures Institute, University of Southern Queensland, Australia

Arthur C. Clarke