[Opensim-users] Load Testing OpenSim

Robert Klein rtkwebman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 21:11:09 UTC 2010

Maybe we just need a reasonable starting point and then work out the loads as
we go? Would it seem logical when stress testing the server that you are
only testing the server and not the network? If so, would it be reasonable
to assume the client or test tool is run on the server itself and not as a
remote client?

Many people do not have control over how much network bandwidth they need.
We do however have much more control over our hardware configuration. Though
I do pity the poor soul who puts together a huge quad core server but only
has a 9600bps modem for their network connectivity!

Regardless, if you are trying to stress test a server config to get a good
idea of how many avatars it might be able to host for some given need like a
dance party or training session would you first want to make sure the server
can theoretically handle the load before worrying about the network
bandwidth? Would a separate method for determining network per X many
avatars be needed? If you build a server and know it can handle 35 avatars
and you need Y amount of bandwidth per 10 avatars, can you at least predict
the reliability of being able to accomplish some event?

-Robert