[Opensim-users] Overhauled some of the basic OpenSim instructions on the wiki

Mespelt, Don DMespelt at seaside.k12.or.us
Sat Jun 19 03:16:51 UTC 2010

Wow.  All of your documentation made sense to a newb like me.  Great job in simplifying it.  (Especially the Robust and legacy servers and thanks for talking about the config-include directory)

I seem to remember the Diva distribution being on there though.  That was really helpful as it just plain ran without any real setup work and it was great to learn from. (Thank you Diva) From there I moved up because of my needs but it was a great starter.  People also talked about the Opensim in a box version too but I never tried it.

Your section on 'Standalone vs. Grid' and 'Attaching your sim to someone else's grid' answered my 'silly' question from earlier this week.  :)  Though I do wonder if all the regions show on the same map no matter what region you are in, gotta try that out...

Groups was really cool once I got it working though it isn't addressed (Permissions Configuration?)

Maybe a disclaimer on what OS seems to work best?  Ubuntu, Cent, Windows.... etc.  and for which server since I run the Regions on Windows and .net and the Robust servers on ubuntu and mono 2.6.

Just wanted to give you some feedback from a novice prospective as I can't really help out with the severe techie stuff that is on here.  It's very simplistic, concise and packed full of good stuff!

Thanks Justin, lots of work here and it shows!

My kids really thought this was fun this year and I think they learned a bit of scripting while playing inworld.

- Don