[Opensim-users] Content Theft and the responsibility of Grid Operators

dz dz at bitzend.net
Tue Jun 1 17:34:32 UTC 2010

Actually...

I believe a more accurate summation of this thread would be...

Un-knowing Grid operator recieves a PROPER request from Lilith to remove
un-authorized copies of her creations...

Grid Operator begins rant about how it isn't  HIS responsibility that
someone on his grid decided to upload pirated content..  These include
digressions into how  HIS stuff is FREE... It MUST be the Lindens fault for
letting it leak...culminating in the inevitable  "DRM is STUPID" conclusion

Grid Operator shares semi-coherent "play by play" on his efforts to make
things right...   Readers ignore it and go Huh?

Anti-DRM/DMCA participants  point to this as ANOTHER reason why efforts to
"protect content creators" are inherently evil and disruptive to our
existence....

The sad fact of the matter is this...   If you open your grid to the
public,  you GIVE YOURSELF the responsibility to respond to appropriate DMCA
take down requests.  Because OpenSimulator is an alpha product, there are
not any real established "best practices" or step-by-step procedures
available to grid operators to accomplish the requested/required asset
identification and removal.  This doesn't mean you are not REQUIRED BY LAW
to comply with a proper request.  Sadly,  this means that some unknowing
grid operators who decide that having a grid full of "cool stuff" is more
important than having a "clean grid" are going to find their business model
"disturbed" when their "cool stuff"  is identified as pirated content.

It's pretty clear that there is a community of people using OpenSimulator
that detest the concepts of DRM and view the DMCA as "wrong", so they make a
personal choice to ignore its existence.  Instead of posting rants here,
maybe your efforts to reform DRM and the DMCA would be better served by
posting it to lists where the legal community can read it.  This is a
software development support mailing list.  Some of us believe that in order
for OpenSimulator to grow into a platform for commercial applications, it
will REQUIRE that content creators see efforts devoted to protecting their
IP.

Just like Master Mirage, our efforts to move the software forward are
hindered.  They are hindered by perceptions that the entire OpenSimulator
community feels the same about protecting content.   Instead of endlessly
posting political positions and stories about your personal decisions to be
"better" than those who prefer to distribute licensed content, please keep
the mailing list discussions directed at issues related to helping others
install, configure, and operate OpenSimulator.