[Opensim-users] Banning "bad" viewers was Re: Can this be done?

John Ward jward at uci.edu
Wed Jan 13 23:35:04 UTC 2010

The question of the impression of security vs actual security is
interesting, and I like your analogy.  What constitutes real security?

We used to have a broken security camera in one of our public computer
labs.  The camera sat on top of a book shelf.  It was not connected to
anything by any cable.  It didn't take any pictures or lead to a screen
where someone might look on.  Did this device provide any real security?
  I suppose you could argue that we did a disservice to any who expected
someone would call the police or come to aid if anything bad happened.
I guess we gave those users a "false sense of security".  We had fewer
thefts from that lab then when it didn't have the "camera" or from other
labs with no camera.

Did we provide any real security?  I can see one saying that it did not
provide "real security" (what ever that means) because stuff could get
stolen just as easily as other labs.  Yup, "security by obscurity".  It
only works when one is fooled by the decoy.  Anyone knowing the truth is
free to go about pillaging the lab.  Was it worth doing?  Yes, it was
quite effective at deterring crime and quite worth doing.

An expert's list on how to secure your home included placing security
system placards and yard signs because (allegedly) homes with just the
signs enjoyed the same reduced burglary rates as those homes with an
actual alarm.  Are the signs protecting the home at all?  If someone
breaks in I'm sure it's better to have an alarm go off then not.

This is getting away from OpenSim so I'll stop.

I would like to thank the core and other developers who are thinking
about and working on, to use Sean's analogy, adding roofs, windows,
security alarms, and locks to the OpenSim convertible.

John.