[Opensim-users] Banning "bad" viewers was Re: Can this be done?

Anders Arnholm Anders at Arnholm.se
Wed Jan 13 09:57:33 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:45:25PM -0800, John Ward wrote:
> Karen Palen wrote:
> > Hmm, somehow your posts are coming with a really strange time stamp. I
> > would guess that the local time zone on your machine is incorrect.
>
> No, just the clock off, and off by enough to keep NTP from updating it
> automatically.
>
> > My central point remains that knowing the viewer ID string does nothing to
> > prevent any such attack, this is simply one workaround.
>
> With all do respect the first of your claims I responded to had been that
> using the ID string was worse then doing nothing.  Which is false.  Then you

I agress usign the ID string is Worse that doing nothing, Karen is
right. It's an actiuons that hurt the good guys more and make you think
you did anything to the bad guy. You argue here it stop bad guys, if you
think that you are wrong. If you keep arguing it stop's bad guy. You
sort of prove it hurts your security becase you belive it helps you be
safe.

> went with it does NOTHING apart from "feelgood"!  Which is also false.  Now

It doesn't to anythign on identifying what software is running remote,
in fact what software is running remote you can't determin.

> its it does nothing to prevent an attack.  I mostly agree with that.  What it
> does do is limit a viewer based on how it identifies itself which is something
What it does is chaning the protocol for connecting a little making your
grid not compatible with the other grids. This limitation in your grid
may stop some users, it will most probably keep all evlite users out as
your grid will not contain anything they think is worth this
inconvienience.

/ Balp
--
      o_   Anders Arnholm,