[Opensim-users] Speaking of Content Theft, How About Our Own Backyard?

Len Brown lenwbrown at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 05:41:28 UTC 2010

I see what you're saying.  I think the positive side here is that in order
to make pirating the end product less palatable is to apply a good dose of
salt and vinegar to the meal.  But incorporating a system of checks and
balances into the core prims in use, it makes it more difficult to strip
from that anything even remotely useful.

There is one thing I have employed in-world in Second Life that has worked
tremendously well without any additional resources:

When I rezz a large build into the virtual world I then select the object
and then unlink everything.  For a large build of, say 500 prims, this
leaves the object fully recognizable in-world and usable.  But the object is
now 500 individual pieces.

Through my own experimentation and what I've learned from others, there does
not (yet) exist a hacked viewer capable of letting the end user select a
large group of unlinked prims and replicate them as a whole.  I'm certain
that will eventually change, but for now it serves as a 100% fool-proof
method for me to prevent others from copying my builds.

At some point I guestimate there will be a viewer that will permit someone
to teleport into the center of a region and then the entire region, land,
all items, textures - you name it - will be ripped out and saved along the
lines of our present OAR packaging system.

Just my 2 cents.