[Opensim-users] Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 25 05:22:51 UTC 2010

That really seems to be a Windows OS problem, I think there is a way to uniquely detect a drive in Windows Scripting, but I have not used it in some time.

I would suspect that there is a system call which will give you all mounted drives (or just try everything from A: to Z: :-( ), then you would need to detect somehting unique about the drive.

In Linux every drive is automatically assigned a UUID which can then be used to unequivocally mount and refer to that drive even if you change the drive mount order in the BIOS.

Possibly the drive serial number would work, but I am not sure if that is truly unique and there are several functions that cause the serial number to be changed!

Many of the so called DRM systems I rant about have used the "unique" drive serial number as a key, only to find that key "disappear" for no obvious reason. A great way to drive the support staff mad. :-(

Karen