[Opensim-users] Question about IAR files

Len Brown lenwbrown at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 04:30:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <
jjustincc at googlemail.com> wrote:

> As well as second inventory, I know that some of the other SL clients (e.g.
> Imprudence, Meerkat) have inventory suck and blow built in and store data
> using a different file format.  I'm not sure what the current state of play
> is there - last time I looked the contents of items themselves were not
> being saved/restored.

I'd like to add here my own personal experience with one of the "banned"
viewers - CryoGen.  Since obtaining a copy of it some time back I've spent a
tremendous amount of time using it on my own personal OpenSim servers and
have grown rather addicted to it.  However, the use of it in Second Life
results in immediate "not open for discussion" banning and account
cancellation so I am very cautious not to use it to log into my SL account.

And, of course, the obvious - that the viewer's intention is to replicate
anything and everything in sight, without any regard for who owns what.  It
simply ignores all rights and permissions.

So why do I think it's better than sliced bread now?  Because I have been
able to save thousands of items I've built over the years in Second Life and
each item is saved as a simple text file - an XML file, to be exact.
Properly named and stored, I have my entire archive of furniture, buildings,
you name it - all saved neatly as little text files.  Even better...
Uncompressed they total *1.54 Gig*, but when I 7-Zipped them, the final
archive was *5.67 Megs*.  I kid you not.  I was then able to upload my
entire prim-based Second Life inventory as a small attachment to an email,
and have put a few other copies here and there on thumb drives, in my Google
Docs storage not that it allows me to upload any file, etc.

You might be wondering how I managed to backup my Second Life inventory
using it without logging into Second Life.  Well, that is the main reason it
is so damned terrifying.  Logging into Second Life using a free account and
the CryoGen browser, and using my premium account to temporarily block the
use of scripts on my land (which can be used to detect and auto-ban users
logged in with CryoGen) I used the free account and CryoGen to walk through
my various stores and replicate everything in sight.

While I do not whatsoever condone stealing in any form, it's an interesting
conundrum for me to have to use "illegal" software to steal MY OWN products,
but as you said about Second Inventory being less than par, CryoGen does a
phenomenal job of allowing me to copy perfectly replicated items from my
shops in SL to my sandbox in OpenSim.

--
- Len W. Brown
  lenwbrown at gmail.com