[Opensim-users] Question about IAR files

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 02:51:36 UTC 2010

You are correct that Second Inventory attempts to suck/blow (love the analogy!) through the user interface, as well as Meerkat and Emerald viewer.

There are at least a couple of "backup" tools that do attempt to save contents this way - NielLife viewer being the most popular right now, even if it is often used as an SL to SL piracy tool.

There is a lot of demand for something that works properly loading and saving OpenSim inventory though. A piracy tool need not bother about frequent errors and minor "fixes", but a legitimate backup or transfer tool needs to be virtually error free to be useful.

Neither Second Inventory nor Neillife handle the OpenSim interface very well at present - I suspect that this is the reason.

The Niellife internal format is already XML so it should need only minor changes to generate a true IAR file.

The SI "local drive" files are encrypted so there is no way to know.

I will post a copy of this to both blogs to see if maybe at least ONE of them will produce a workable backup/transfer tool for OpenSim!

Karen