[Opensim-users] MySQL on seperate server?

Karen Palen karen_palen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 21:38:49 UTC 2010

Hi,

I was deliberately being as neutral as I could in my tone since I do NOT want to start some "Fanboy" flamewar!

I do notice that a defrag operation is standard in all Windows versions and certainly does make a huge difference in file access.

I also take note that "defrag" is NOT a Linux utility and I have not experienced as problem due to its lack. My only real experience for potential fragmentation was in copying/moving a Ubuntu 9.04 install to another machine - about the crudest form of "defrag" there is!

I was careful to use a "file by file" copy and not "sector by sector" for exactly this reason. The old file system had been in heavy use for nearly a year, but I measured zero difference in hard drive performance!

From that I conclude that Linux does not experience a fragmentation problem.

You are welcome to debate the reasons for this, I see that as unproductive.

Karen