[Opensim-users] MySQL on seperate server?

Tedd Hansen tedd at konge.net
Thu Feb 18 15:31:47 UTC 2010

Hi

NTFS filesystem does have all the features of ext3/ext4 + much more (except maybe live resize of fs), and have had it for at least 10 years. NTFS has been way ahead of its time for well over a decade. The journal is the part that keeps your data safe (introduced in ext3) in event of a crash. BOTH filesystems have pre-allocation of space when you open a file for write, which combats fragmentation as long as you have a fair amount of free space on your disk. But Windows 2008 also has prioritized IO and background defragmenting which allows it to organize things in the background without affecting the services you are running. Anyway you should have enough memory to not care too much about fragmentation, it doesn't cost much and gives a good boost.

When that is said, the kernel does not matter that much anymore. That is a 90's discussion. Threading, memory handling, disk IO, all are competitive on all platforms today. Some advances are made now and then, but all the others are quick to follow.

I highly recommend the book "Modern Operating Systems" for anyone who wants to dig in deep in OS' in general.

Considerations to be made (from the top of my head):
1) Of course; how much memory, memory speed/bandwidth(bridge) and how many MHz's do you pack...
2) How much L2-cache do you have (quite important)?
3) How many physical CPU's do you have (cores share L2 cache)?
4) How many memory channels do you have (simultaneous memory access)?
5) How are these channels mapped to the CPU's?
6) Do the software you run know how to utilize the CPU2PhysicalMem(data) mapping correctly (MS-SQL does, MySQL does not afaik)?
7) Are you forcing many CPU-intensive components to share memory bandwith (regions, several db components, etc)? Remember that CPU-intensive tasks usually involve modifying some amount of memory.
8) What other tasks are you doing on this computer which affects #7.

Because of the fact that OpenSim is a CPU intensive package which uses a lot of code and memory you can run out of L2-cache on larger setups, hence you get a trashing behavior on treads.
So splitting OpenSim over multiple machines (regions, databases, etc) will yield better performance. Putting too much on the same machine will after a certain point cause an exponential decrease in speed (trashing behavior).

The exact point at where your installation will start trashing is highly dependent on hardware and number of objects ... but some general experience in this area would be very interesting.
OpenSim/3D worlds are hw-intensive applications, and squeezing the most out of them will be an issue for anyone who plan to have more than a handful of users. (What is the TCO of 1k visitors, 10k, 100k, etc.)

For kernel hackers...
If you have a dedicated OpenSim-server you could try to change the default Hz of the kernel. Currently it's at 250, optimized for multimedia such as video display.
Linus in e-mail explained it as "1kHz is also good in that it makes it easy to convert both to USER_HZ and to ms/ns. But maybe something like 250Hz would be better - still high enough that things like multimedia (which really wants higher frequencies in order to be able to sleep for fractional video-frames) should be happy, low enough that we use less CPU."
You can set this to 100 to avoid an additional 150 task switches and MMU-reprograms per second. This would allow each thread to work longer on the data it has retrieved from memory before a switch occurs.
This can be done for Windows as well with a simple registry change and reboot.
Linux: http://kerneltrap.org/node/5411
Windows: http://doc.sch130.nsc.ru/www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/frob.shtml

Definition of trashing = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrash_(computer_science)

BR,