[Opensim-users] MySQL on seperate server?

John Mieske johnmieske at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 21:00:55 UTC 2010

I have to agree with Darren here. If your doing this at home, you might as
well have both on the same computer. Your internet in general will dictate
what you can do. So if your running this at home, hang up the idea of two
computer region serving because no one will see a difference when they
already bogg down from a slow internet connection to your region. I have
seen some Regions who run them at home with the best of intentions only shut
down days later because they realize their internet only allowed 2 avatars
to run smoothly. When they got to 3, their sim started to crash. It is all
about your upload speed. However, if you got a FAT PIPE ( not to smoke
hahaha ) then yea you definitely might want to try the way I suggested.
Again everything in OpenSim is based on HOW you run your Grid / Regions.
Nothing is 100% set one way. I only offered a suggestion to those who could
use this benefit. And there are already some servers that has been setup
this way and they are smooth.

John

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Darren Williams <darren at dmmhosting.co.uk>wrote:

>  Ken G asked:
>

> Dumb question from a casual opensim user who is not fully clued in on it's
> workings, that popped into my head after reading John Mieske's Space Grid
> Station post:
>
> Is it feasible and sensible while running opensim on a home PC connection
> to be able to use a MySQL database on a shared web hosting server, such as
> Hostgator for example? If possible, would this type of setup improve
> performance of a lightly used standalone or grid-connected sim?
> I haven't put much thought into this idea, just wanted to blurt it out and
> see if it's worth pursuing.
>

> Ken,
>

> You shouldn’t receive any benefit at all doing the above. In fact it will
> probably make things worse.
>

> If I’m reading this right then the region server which you have running
> locally would then be pulling/pushing the data from across the net on the
> mysql server, back to your machine. It would probably run worse.
>

> Daz

John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station