[Opensim-users] MySQL on seperate server?

Darren Williams darren at dmmhosting.co.uk
Mon Feb 15 20:39:44 UTC 2010

Ken G asked:

Dumb question from a casual opensim user who is not fully clued in on
it's workings, that popped into my head after reading John Mieske's
Space Grid Station post:

Is it feasible and sensible while running opensim on a home PC
connection to be able to use a MySQL database on a shared web hosting
server, such as Hostgator for example? If possible, would this type of
setup improve performance of a lightly used standalone or grid-connected
sim?
I haven't put much thought into this idea, just wanted to blurt it out
and see if it's worth pursuing.

Ken,

You shouldn't receive any benefit at all doing the above. In fact it
will probably make things worse.

If I'm reading this right then the region server which you have running
locally would then be pulling/pushing the data from across the net on
the mysql server, back to your machine. It would probably run worse.

Daz