[Opensim-users] ubuntu packages (was: Re: Error from "save oar")

Dave Coyle coyle at knifejaw.com
Wed Feb 10 19:11:19 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-10 13:56:56 -0500, opensim at jfhopkin.karoo.co.uk wrote:
> So you're right, it's the /usr/bin one that's 2.4. Maybe dpkg
> doesn't find the package because 2.2 was compiled from source? Or
> does that not make sense?

If you installed it manually (e.g. via 'make install') and not by
creating a package and then installing that package, then, correct,
dpkg wouldn't know about it.

In the future, rather than running 'make install', you could make
things easier by running 'checkinstall'.  If you don't have
checkinstall on your machine:

    # aptitude install checkinstall

checkinstall, on Debian or Ubuntu, will ask you a couple questions, do
the 'make install' into a temporary directory, build a package out of
that, and install the package.  If you decide later you don't want it,
you can just remove the whole thing via dpkg, aptitude, Synaptic, or
however you manage your installed packages.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you have any questions about that.

-coyled