[Opensim-users] the concept of "visitor"

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Tue Feb 2 15:49:20 UTC 2010

I would like to open up one of our worlds to the general public by
allowing people
to log in as visitors. This is related to the "anonymous login" and has
been discussed
in various forms, but here is the concept - not sure if anything exists
yet in trunk to
support this:

1. A user logs in using whatever name they want. If authentication is
turned off, this is
   no problem. However, what would be ideal is that when the user logs
off, any trace
   of them is removed from the database-- they do not persist.

2. When the user logs in, they have access to the Library part of the
inventory, but are
    unable to load any assets to the server, thus they would have
nothing under "My Inventory"
    or be able to copy items from the Library or the world into My
Inventory. The Library
    would contain all necessities (clothing, basic objects and scripts
that they require
    in the space).

3. The user cannot build on the island but can run scripts and navigate
performing full
    interaction.

#1 is not a huge issue since I would imagine that the incremental space
allocation for
users just means additional rows in the user/agent tables -- shouldn't
take up too much
room. #2 is a bigger problem - visitors should not be taxing the asset
server. #3
can be handled by unchecking both boxes next to Create Objects in About
Land->Options.

Are either #1 or #2 possible? They would seem to be a prerequisite for
something approaching
basic web page services: people come in, visit, and exit while leaving a
minimal trace.
Builders on the other hand, have special login names that give them the
capability to build
and load assets (possible with groups?).

-p

--
Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor